Saturday, December 17, 2011

homemade christmas, installment #2.

Today I made sugar scrub! Brown Sugar Vanilla Sugar Scrub! Big thanks to my friend Melanie for making sugar scrub herself and saying something that intrigued me on twitter. :)

Melanie gave me her recipe and I also read a bunch online and settled on one of my own and headed to the store.

Yesterday Olive and I went to Costco for most of the ingredients since everything comes in such large packages there and I was planning to make a bunch of sugar scrub! Midday on a Friday Costco was absurdly packed... I couldn't even parking the parking lot. Olive and I found a spot by Home Depot, I got her situated in our Ergo carrier and we made the cold trek to Costco. Inside we knew exactly what we needed and exactly where we were going but got stuck behind globs of people too many times to count. We grabbed a few needed items (organic heavy cream for butter making and organic eggs!) and the ingredients for the sugar scrub.



You'll need:
Brown Sugar
Regular Granulated Sugar
Oil (I used Olive but you can use whatever you like.. Other oils may not smell as strong as Olive)
(Wait, I just capitalized olive when I shouldn't have.)
Vanilla Extract

Chances are you already have each of these things in your cupboard! I did.. But like I said I was planning to make a lot so I didn't want to run out of anything.

One "serving" of Brown Sugar Vanilla Sugar Scrub is:
2 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Oil
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract

I reused all of my jars (which I suggest you do, too)! So I started by soaking them well to get the labels off.



Mix the sugars in a bowl until combined and try to get out as many lumps as possible.





Once combined add both the oil and the vanilla extract and mix until completely combined.





Put it into jars that seal tightly and.. there you go!

I'll decorate the jars a little bit... like this?



This is all of the sugar scrub I made - hooray! (This was a total of four "servings")



The granulated sugar and the olive oil that I used are both organic. Coscto doesn't offer organic brown sugar or vanilla extract but if they did I would have used it. Of course organic isn't necessary in this situation but when putting something all over my skin I would rather it be as pure and simple as possible. So more than 50% of this is pesticide free.. so that's nice. :)

Use the sugar scrub to exfoliate your skin, especially your knees and elbows! :)

This is a great, quick, and inexpensive gift. It's also a great gift to have on hand "just in case" when someone gets you a gift and you didn't get something for them!

Enjoy! And let me know how it turned out if you tried it yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm my dead winter skin could use this- thanks for the how to!

    ReplyDelete