Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Quaking Bog Adventure

This morning we took a short drive to the Quaking Bog. Tyler didn't have to work until 11 and the weather was great, so we squeezed a trip in right before he had to work. I wish we had more time to visit. But it's about 5 minutes from our house.. so we really should go every day.

Olive and June both brought their DoodleBug mice. June really likes his. :)

We were the only ones in the parking lot and found a meter with time left - perfect!



I'm never sure how to transport June. On a short trip wearing him in the Ergo seems like too much of a hassle. And if he really doesn't want to be carried, after having the chance to walk, he'll put up a big fight. He needs to be just a wee bit older so I can rely on him walking and staying somewhat near to me better than he does right now. I also need to give him the chance more often! I think Tyler carries him more than I do, rather than deal with the "trouble" of chasing him or keeping him on task.





Olive was so excited! We had planned to go the day before but we ran out of time.



Olive and her mouse explored this old tree stump. Unfortunately she discovered that some previous park goers had used it as a trash can. She was a little amused.. as if they were genuinely confused and made a mistake.



June was extra snuggly as he's having a few bottom issues at the moment. Poor guy. And more me.





Have I told you that I love bogs?





Olive is showing her mouse that the boardwalk we were on is actually floating on water. Unschooling her mouse.





Do you see that? All of that sphagnum moss? Favorite thing ever. I think the mouse liked it, too. I think it's name is Mousey but I haven't confirmed. Olive found a green vest that fits him quite well.



Tyler kept an eye out for Olive and I got a turn with June. Of course I put him down right away.



He was trying to get to some open water off the path but it was kind of big, so I brought him back over to this spot we had already passed. He immediately started dunking his mouse in the cool bog water. It was perfect.





Olive came over and was upset that he was getting it messy and worried that he might misplace it within the bog. She took it from him so he started dunking his foot instead.



And then he couldn't resist the call of the sphagnum moss. I totally understand, little guy. It does that to me, too.





Tyler and Olive were making their way along the path - our meter was running out and Tyler had to start heading to work.



They were across the bog from us. I kept telling June just to follow the path to get to them. He would stop every so often to wave to them excitedly.



I LOVE BOGS.





Can we live in a bog?





When we got to the end of the boardwalk entrance/exit, June stepped off the path and climbed back onto the board walk via the side, under the railing. He seemed really excited to do this.



But it was slanted downhill quite a bit and he had a rough time standing up. I loved it.





We hurried up and down hills, over mud and gravel. June did great. He fell down a few times but wasn't too phased.







Pinecone stop.





If you would like to see the rest of the photos from our trip to the bog, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment