Saturday, July 7, 2012

mckinley csa week four

20120707-150036.jpg

This week’s share from McKinley CSA in north Minneapolis, Minnesota includes Mokum carrots, cucumbers, Swiss chard, peapods, French fingerling potatoes, and my choice of two herbs: mint & rosemary.

Last Saturday I took photos at a few of the sites and then did a lot of much needed weeding at the Cityview site.

How did I use last week's share?
Red potatoes joined some farmer's market red potatoes to make a huge batch of baked lemony potatoes.
Beans joined two meals but were cooked the same.. Pretty simply cooked for just a few minutes in a pan with coconut oil and a little pepper and sea salt on top.
Most of the raspberries were eaten by Olive. I bought more at the farmer's market to include in some quinoa muffins.
We enjoyed some lettuce mix today in a quick salad.
I made beet and carrot soup again.
We ate the beet greens this morning for breakfast - I sautéed them in bacon fat after cooking bacon and added some maple syrup, pepper, and sea salt midway through.
The broccoli is still waiting to be used.

6 comments:

  1. I like that you are doing this again. Mainly so I can compare to what I got. I was sad when you stopped last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting way to prepare beet greens. I wonder if my family would go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you like your broccoli steamed or roasted? It happens to be my favorite side dish :)

    Come and link up to this week's party when you get a chance...http://inherchucks.com/2012/07/05/whats-in-the-box-33/. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually steam it but I'm planning to have it raw this time. I'm hoping to incorporate more raw foods in our diet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sad when I stopped last year too. But I just wasn't getting it done.. it was difficult with just a 50mm lens and then finding the time to upload the photo. Olive was a lot more needy then. Taking a photo with my phone is SO easy. I usually write the blog post right on my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration. Such a better way to eat it :)

    ReplyDelete