Tuesday, June 26, 2012

easy summer on the go lunch.. in a mason jar!

A couple of weeks ago I tried to make a veg burger from a recipe I found on Pinterest. I did a ton of substations, because I usually do, and also to make it gluten and sugar free. The consistency did quite work right for frying into a patty. I put it on lettuce and we ate it sort of roll form. I rolled up the leftovers and lettuce and we ate it for lunch on our road trip to Washington.

While making my meal list last week I thought I would try something similar but modify it to be more friendly for our family. What I came up with is gluten and sugar free, mostly fresh and local, healthy, very easy to make, portable, perfect for summer when don't want to use your stove or oven, and is about 280 calories per serving.

I've called it Sweet Jar Lunch, that is sort for Sweet Potato and Cannellini Bean Layered Lunch Thing in a Mason Jar. This recipe makes four jars.

Sweet Potato & Cannellini Bean Thing:
20120626-122125.jpg

Avocado "Spread":
20120626-122133.jpg

Chopped Tomatoes:
20120626-122138.jpg

Lettuce Mix:
20120626-122145.jpg

Mustard:
20120626-122151.jpg

20120626-122202.jpg

20120626-122209.jpg

Layers, from top to bottom:
1: Shredded Lettuce Mix, about 2 cups
2: Chopped Tomatoes, I happened to have 5 cherry tomatoes waiting to be used.
3: Avocado "Spread" - 1 avocado, some green onion, 2 small fresh onions, 1 tsp lemon juice, dash of sea salt - all smushed together.
4: 1 Tbsp Mustard (per jar)
5: Sweet Potato & Cannellini Bean Thing - 1 medium baked sweet potato (skin removed), 2 cans cannellini beans (rinsed & drained), 3 Tbsp almond flour, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp peanut butter (I would have preferred almond butter but didn't have enough), a dash of fresh ground black pepper - all mixed and mushed together using a potato masher.

I'm planning to make this every couple of weeks this summer as we do not have air conditioning so the thought of a good meal without the use of the stove or oven is very attractive. Throw a lid on the jar and it's a perfect meal for a road trip, picnic, or day at the beach!

I'm expecting this to be popular on Pinterest. Because its yummy, fast, easy.. and in a jar. ;) So.. pin it if you please!

2 comments:

  1. You're making me hungry... especially the sweet potato/ white bean part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it! It's really yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete